AFTER ALL THESE YEARS
This year we celebrate MIDI being with us for 30 years. MIDI otherwise known as the Musical Instrument Digital Interface opened the door for us to create music in ways we would have never thought possible 30 years ago. MIDI provides a way for keyboards and musical instruments to communicate with each other as well as to the outside world. MIDI also provides a way we can connect our musical instruments to desktop computers, laptops and in the most recent years tablets and mobile phones.
SIMPLICITY AND VERSATILITY
Yes you can have both. The latest release from IK Multimedia is the iRig MIDI 2. This is an update from the original iRig MIDI that was exclusively for use with iPads and iPhones. This latest product opens up quite a few new possibilities for those who need MIDI on the move. Here are some of the features as listed on the IK Multimedia site. As you can see they have really thought through the design and functionality with the new iRig MIDI 2.
- Universal MIDI interface for Lightning iOS devices as well as all prior generations of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch plus Mac and PC
- Ultra-portable, pocket-sized form factor that you can take with you anywhere
- Detachable bumper-friendly cables for seamless, universal connectivity
- Lighting connector and USB cable included, 30-pin cable available separately
- Standard-sized MIDI IN, OUT and THRU ports
- MIDI IN/OUT LED indicators for at-a-glance monitoring of MIDI data transmission
- Draws power from host device instead of a bulky power adaptor
- Comes with a powerful suite of music creation apps SampleTank Free, iGrand Piano FREE and SampleTank 3 SE
- Elegant and durable rubberized enclosure
- Designed and made in Modena, Italy
The iRig MIDI 2 comes in a very compact and well built form factor with a no frills approach to get going very quickly. The front panel has three MIDI jacks IN, THROUGH and OUT. The back panel features a single multipurpose DIN jack. This is where the versatility comes in. The iRig MIDI can not only be used with the iPad or iPhone but also with your PC, MacBook or other computer having a USB port.
The two cables provided are an Apple Lightning compatible cable as well as a USB compatible cable. Each cable connects to the special DIN jack on the rear of the. iRig MIDI 2. A seperate Apple 30 pin connector is sold separately for those using pre-lightning enabled devices.
THE BEST OF ALL WORLDS
The best thing about the iRig MIDI 2 is that it covers practically any situation where you need to interface a computer and most tablets and phones to your musical instruments. It serves as a MIDI Swiss Army knife of sorts giving you the interface you need in those strange and sometimes emergency situations.
THE CONNECTIONS YOU HAVE ALWAYS WANTED
The iRig MIDI 2 is my new favorite MIDI interface. It just covers any possibilities you might run across when performing live and relying on your computer or mobile devices. The well thought out design and functionality make it the perfect solution. A good idea would be to purchase an extra one and have it just in case, believe me you never know.
Priced at just under $100.00 the iRig MIDI 2 removes all previous excuses for using your computers and mobile devices in your music creations and performance. It provides the perfect bridge to connect you to new and fun ways to explore your creativity and to take the promise of MIDI into the next 30 years.